ACTIVITY 1 – State versus local government
- SS 4 C 3 2 Distinguish between state (governor, state representative, or senator) and local government (major, city commissioner).
The students will research information on the current Florida governor and the major of their home city. They will write a biography on each of these individuals and then complete a venn diagram showing similarities and differences on the two jobs.
- Once Upon a Time, Local Democracy (YouTube)
- Federal Powers vs. State Powers (YouTube)
- 2012 Brings New State Laws (NBC Learn)
- Spotlight on Cory Booker, Major of Newark, New Jersey (NBC Learn)
ACTIVITY 2 – Florida issues impact on citizens [FCAT: Writes]
- SS 4 C 2 1 Discuss public issues in Florida that impact the daily lives of its citizens.
The teacher will hold a discussion with the students on public issues that are currently significant in Florida that impact the daily lives of its citizens (i.e. homelessness, jobs, housing). They will also discuss the presidential candidates and their beliefs on this issue.
The students will write a five paragraph paper on which candidate they would vote for to make the needed changes to Florida and tell why with supporting details.
ACTIVITY 3 – Citizens solve problems
- SS 4 C 2 2 Identify ways citizens work together to influence government and help solve community and state problems.
As a class, the students are to identify a school or community problem. They will write a proposal for making a change / a
solution. They will then present their proposal to the class and the class will take a vote to decide which is the best proposal. As a class, they will build a plan of action to implement the chosen proposal.